Global Plastic Crisis

Plastic manufacture has expanded tremendously throughout the years due to its convenience, durability, and affordability. However, the vast majority of plastic objects are intended for single-use only, resulting in a substantial buildup of plastic trash that is difficult to manage and dispose of correctly.

Plastic consumption has doubled in the previous 30 years, owing to rising demand in emerging nations. Between 2000 and 2019, global plastics output more than doubled to 460 million tonnes. Plastics provide 3.4% of total world greenhouse gas emissions.

Between 2000 and 2019, global plastic trash generation more than doubled to 353 million tonnes. Plastics with lifetimes of less than five years account for over two-thirds of all plastic trash, with packaging accounting for 40%, consumer products accounting for 12%, and apparel and textiles accounting for 11%.

Unfortunately, a significant portion of these plastics end up as waste, with only a fraction being recycled or properly managed.

“Only 9% of plastic garbage is recycled around the world, while 22% is mismanaged.”

A significant amount of plastic garbage gets up in the world’s oceans, where it degrades into microplastics and presents serious risks to marine life. Plastic is frequently mistaken for food by sea species, resulting in ingestion and entanglement, which can end in harm or death. The contamination of the marine environment has an impact on the entire aquatic ecosystem, including the food chain, which in turn has an impact on human health.

Plastic garbage is also clogging landfills and illicit dumping sites, causing soil and groundwater pollution. Plastic waste can disintegrate over hundreds of years, worsening the situation over time. Furthermore, burning plastic garbage emits hazardous chemicals and contributes to air pollution, negatively damaging human health and the environment.

Addressing the global plastic crisis requires a multifaceted approach.Governments, industries, and individuals must collaborate to reduce plastic production, promote sustainable alternatives, and improve waste management systems.

One such organisation working towards the goal is Biodegradable Future. They have developed additives which will boost the biodegradability of any plastic goods without compromising the physical characteristics and will not negatively impact the recycling process if it ends up in a landfill, ocean or soil, it will naturally biodegrade.

Biodegradable Future aids businesses and manufacturers overcome the difficulties they currently face. The additive is made to prevent the plastic from degrading until it comes into touch with bacteria, ensuring that the plastic keeps its strength. Thus, there are no unpleasant shocks when using polymers that have undergone additive treatment; they maintain the same strength as other plastics.

The additives will work on all plastic items, including single-use shopping bags and custom-engineered durable parts. Additionally, Biodegradable Future provides a thorough consultation on the requirements in order to ascertain and validate whether how one can use this product in their enterprise.

The high expense of switching away from plastic in manufacturing and packaging is one of the reasons businesses are hesitant to do so. The affordable additives are more reasonable than the majority of plastic substitutes, keeping the prices down. Biodegradable Future additives have been shown to biodegrade plastic much faster than natural techniques in tests utilising the ASTM D5511 standard.

About Biodegradable Future

According to GreenPeace, less than 10% of the plastic we produce has been recycled, because recycling is expensive. What happens to the other 90%? It pollutes our landfills, oceans and groundwater for hundreds, even thousands of years.

What is the solution?

Biodegradable Future is a lead supplier of plastic additives that are changing the way we work with plastic. We have developed an additive will not compromise the physical characteristics of your plastic goods, will not negatively impact the recycling process or combustibility and, if it ends up in a landfill, ocean or soil, it will naturally biodegrade.

Concerned about unplanned or premature biodegration?

Plastic treated with our additive has the life span equivalent to untreated plastic in environments such as retail stores, warehouses, offices etc. These environments do not provide the conditions necessary for the biodegration process to take place. In fact, active biodegration environments require bacterial and fungal colonies found in landfills. Those conditions are ideal for the microbes to colonise on the plastic product and begin digesting the smaller polymer compounds.

Learn more about the full biodegration process here

  • The biodegradation rate depends on the biologically-active landfills and according to the type of plastic used, the product configuration, temperature and moisture levels of the landfill.